St. Mary's duo win science research opportunities
Two talented young scientists from St. Mary’s College have won the opportunity to take part in high-level research projects later this year.
Laura Harper from Crosby and Krishna Ramkalawon from Aintree have been awarded prestigious Nuffield science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) bursaries that will allow them to work alongside professional scientists at top research organisations during the long summer holiday.
The lower sixth formers competed against thousands of other applicants from across the North West to win the four-week placements and funding provided by the Nuffield Foundation.
As yet the duo have not been told exactly what they will be working on, but previous winners from St. Mary’s have been involved in topics as diverse as engineering and medical imaging projects and research into eye disease and cancer.
Laura is currently studying A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and History and is aiming for a career in medicine.
Krishna, meanwhile, is taking A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and wants to study either Physics or Chemistry at university.
Head of Science, Bob Johnston, commented: “We are very proud of Laura and Krishna’s success but not surprised considering their exceptional ability.
“They are following in the footsteps of previous Nuffield bursary winners from the school, all of whom have found their research projects incredibly interesting.
“This year’s successful students are a great prospect for the future and I look forward to reading the reports they produce on their projects when they return for the autumn term,” added Mr Johnston.
- St. Mary's College launches National Language Competition
- Wristband fundraiser provides a 'helping hand' to African children
- Five students to represent North of England Independent Schools
- Philharmonic date set for St. Mary's pupils
- St. Mary's sisters star in Sophocles play
- St. Mary's Concert for Hamline University A Cappella Choir
- St. Mary's stages rugby generation game
- Brigadier Richard Wardlaw OBE is Principal Guest at Prize Day
- Sixth Form Ball
- Carol Service heralds the the start of the Christmas Season
- St. Mary's pupil honoured in national geography competition
- Starring role for St. Mary's Sixth Former Tom
- VIP guest at St. Mary's Annual Dinner is a Marvel
- St. Mary's marks Remembrance Day
- St. Mary's celebrate Halloween with a difference
- St. Mary's raises funds for Jospice Appeal
- Past pupils return to teach at The Mount
- Music tour to Italy a great success
- St. Mary's makes the headlines in leading scientific journal
- St. Mary's students visit the Eternal City