Advice on careers in Marketing on the menu at St. Mary's
Advice on careers in marketing was on the menu at the latest lunchtime lecture for Sixth Formers at St. Mary’s. The VIP guest at the event was former pupil David Beattie who now works for top London marketing agency Nonsense whose clients include leading names such as Nike, Bacardi, Cancer Research UK and Diabetes UK.
In an entertaining and well-received talk David spoke about the vital importance of innovative and attention-grabbing marketing at a time when consumers are being bombarded with what he described as a ‘relentless stream of content’. His talk ranged from explanations of traditional and so-called above-the-line marketing methods - such as TV, radio and billboard advertising - to the ever-growing importance of digital marketing via websites and social media.
He also outlined the major roles in marketing departments and agencies, and the skills, qualifications and experience required to apply for them. The talk was illustrated throughout with examples from David’s own career, from his early days with Merseyside-based agencies to his current role in the capital.
David commented, "It was great to be back at St. Mary's and to meet some of the current Sixth Formers. They were a very good audience and kept me on my toes with some interesting and pertinent questions."
St. Mary’s Head of Business Studies, Miss Jo Simpson added, “Marketing is becoming an increasingly popular further education and career choice for young people so there was a lot of interest from our students in our latest lunchtime talk. We’re very grateful to David for taking time out of his busy schedule to attend. Hearing about the real-life experiences of a former pupil really brought the subject to life and gave our Sixth Formers plenty of food for thought for the future.”
- St. Mary's students entertain Spanish audiences on Barcelona tour
- Head Boy and Head Girl roles for Jake and Niamh
- Joshua's Science Club project could help visually impaired people
- Strong GCSE performances at St. Mary's
- 100% pass rate at St. Mary's College
- St. Mary's science enthusiasts head for Royal Society Exhibition
- Proms in the Park hits the right note
- Former St. Mary's pupil takes pole position in road safety campaign
- Exhibition puts skills of young artists in the frame
- Art Fair honour for St. Mary's College
- St. Mary's salutes 'Class of 2014'
- Liverpool fundraising event will help to transform St. Martin's in Liberia
- St. Mary's volunteers take a trip to Lourdes
- St. Mary's College free school application
- St. Mary's students learn about Catalan culture
- Proms in the Park 2014
- New Chair for the Friends of St. Mary's
- St. Mary's salutes achievements of CCF Cadets
- Principal’s response to Archdiocese letter regarding St. Mary’s College free school bid
- St. Mary's students head to the crossroads of Europe