St. Mary's Sixth Formers present research findings
Three Upper Sixth Formers from St. Mary’s have been presenting the findings of the high-level research projects they completed during the summer holiday. Niamh Thomas, Sam McGuire and Philip Thornton competed against hundreds of other applicants to win bursaries from the Nuffield Foundation which enabled them to spend four weeks working alongside professional scientists.
Head Girl Niamh Thomas from Blundellsands undertook her research at Liverpool University and Unilever, working on a project which focused on the purity of polyacrylic acid which is used in the manufacture of products such as nappies. The acid becomes safer to use as its purity increases.
Sam McGuire from Southport was based at Liverpool John Moores University for his research which looked at the use of microscopic parasites to tackle the problem of harmful insects such as mosquitoes.
Philip Thornton from Crosby also conducted his research at JMU, working on a so-called ‘big data’ project looking at data sets so large and complex that they are difficult to process using traditional applications.
All three students spoke about the projects and their findings recently at the annual Nuffield Presentation Evening at the World Museum in Liverpool.
Niamh Thomas commented, “Working on this research was an interesting and valuable experience in its own right, as well as being a very useful addition to my Personal Statement for my UCAS application.”
St. Mary’s Head of Biology and Nuffield Co-ordinator, Nicola Addy, added, “Niamh, Sam and Philip have followed in the footsteps of a large number of other St. Mary’s students who have won these prestigious Nuffield bursaries over the years. They are a fantastic opportunity for our Sixth Formers to get involved in high-level scientific research, and I know they have learned a huge amount from their work on these three important and interesting projects.”
- St. Mary's Under 16 Netball Team crowned champions of Sefton
- St. Mary's students learn about life in a WW1 hospital
- Peel Ports visit Sixth Formers to discuss Liverpool2 scheme
- Advice on careers in Marketing on the menu at St. Mary's
- St. Mary's pupils remembered during Arnhem battle commemorations
- St. Mary's students entertain Spanish audiences on Barcelona tour
- Head Boy and Head Girl roles for Jake and Niamh
- Joshua's Science Club project could help visually impaired people
- Strong GCSE performances at St. Mary's
- 100% pass rate at St. Mary's College
- St. Mary's science enthusiasts head for Royal Society Exhibition
- Proms in the Park hits the right note
- Former St. Mary's pupil takes pole position in road safety campaign
- Exhibition puts skills of young artists in the frame
- Art Fair honour for St. Mary's College
- St. Mary's salutes 'Class of 2014'
- Liverpool fundraising event will help to transform St. Martin's in Liberia
- St. Mary's volunteers take a trip to Lourdes
- St. Mary's College free school application
- St. Mary's students learn about Catalan culture