St. Mary's students take to the Philharmonic stage
More than 250 talented young musicians from St. Mary’s College took to the stage at one of the region’s most prestigious concert venues recently. The annual Festival of Music event at Liverpool’s Philharmonic Hall was a showcase for the skills of a range of musical ensembles from the College and its Preparatory School, The Mount. They included the award-winning Symphony Orchestra, Symphonic Wind Band, Stage Band, Baroque Consort, Show Choir, Chamber Choir and Mount Concert Choir. There was also a special guest appearance by the choir from English Martyrs Catholic Primary School in Litherland.
The unusual and ambitious repertoire for this year’s concert included the iconic tone poem Finlandia by Jean Sibelius, excerpts from Handel’s The King Shall Rejoice and the complete Suite in Eb by Gustav Holst. On a different note, the audience was also able to enjoy the Second Waltz from Jazz Suite No 2 by Shostakovich and music from the blockbuster movie 1492 - Conquest of Paradise by Greek composer Vangelis. The concert was again compered by popular BBC Radio Merseyside presenter Roger Phillips, and conducted by St. Mary’s Director of Music Andrew Byers, supported by colleague Colin Johnston.
Mr Byers commented, “Our annual Philharmonic Hall concert has become one of the great St. Mary’s traditions and we were all delighted to return to the venue for the17th year in a row. Preparing for the event always involves a huge amount of hard work, but it’s worth all the rehearsal time involved because performing on its famous stage is an experience our students never forget.
Looking back there have been some fantastic concerts over the years, and I am delighted to say that our current pupils maintained this track record of success. I would like to pay tribute to the incredibly high standards of musicianship they displayed at the concert. They fully deserved the standing ovation they received at the end of the evening.”
- Rave reviews for Greek tragedy 'Ajax'
- St. Mary's students help to promote Liverpool to Spanish tourists
- St. Mary's Sixth Formers put the spotlight on manufacturing
- A message from the Principal
- St. Mary's students rehearse ambitious production of Ancient Greek tragedy
- St. Mary's event puts the spotlight on the aerospace industry
- St. Mary's College looks back on a year of achievement
- St. Mary's pupils enjoy Pyrenees ski trip
- Musical start to Christmas season for St. Mary's students
- Stylish evening for St. Mary's Sixth Formers
- St. Mary's Principal hosts evening with Alan Johnson MP
- Grease is the word at St. Mary's
- St. Mary's Sixth Formers present research findings
- St. Mary's supports Remembrance Day events
- St. Mary's Under 16 Netball Team crowned champions of Sefton
- St. Mary's students learn about life in a WW1 hospital
- Peel Ports visit Sixth Formers to discuss Liverpool2 scheme
- Advice on careers in Marketing on the menu at St. Mary's
- St. Mary's pupils remembered during Arnhem battle commemorations
- St. Mary's students entertain Spanish audiences on Barcelona tour