Philharmonic concert date for St. Mary's students
Talented young musicians from St. Mary’s College in Crosby will perform at one of the region’s most prestigious concert venues later this month. The school is staging its annual Festival of Music at Liverpool’s Philharmonic Hall at 7.30pm on Friday 20th March.
More than 250 pupils will take part in the showcase event as part of a range of musical ensembles from the college and its preparatory school, The Mount. They will include the award-winning Symphony Orchestra, Symphonic Wind Band, Stage Band, Baroque Consort, Show Choir, Chamber Choir and Mount Concert Choir. There will also be a special guest appearance by the choir from English Martyrs Catholic Primary School.
The unusual and ambitious repertoire for the concert will include the iconic tone poem Finlandia by Jean Sibelius, excerpts from Handel’s The King Shall Rejoice and the complete Suite in Eb by Gustav Holst. The audience will also be able to enjoy the Second Waltz from Jazz Suite No 2 by Shostakovich, and music from the blockbuster movie 1492 - Conquest of Paradise by Greek composer Vangelis.
The concert will be compered by popular BBC Radio Merseyside presenter Roger Phillips, and conducted by St. Mary’s Director of Music Andrew Byers, supported by colleague Colin Johnston. Mr Byers commented, “I’m delighted that we’re heading back to the Philharmonic Hall for the 17th year in a row because performing on its famous stage is an experience our students never forget. At the moment we’re very busy rehearsing for the event, but it will be worth all the time and effort to make it an evening to remember for musicians and audience members alike.”
Tickets for St. Mary’s Festival of Music - priced at £12 for adults and £6 for children and seniors - are available from the Philharmonic box office on 0151 709 3789, via the venue’s website at www.liverpoolphil.com or from the college on 0151 924 3926.
- A message from the Principal
- St. Mary's students rehearse ambitious production of Ancient Greek tragedy
- St. Mary's event puts the spotlight on the aerospace industry
- St. Mary's College looks back on a year of achievement
- St. Mary's pupils enjoy Pyrenees ski trip
- Musical start to Christmas season for St. Mary's students
- Stylish evening for St. Mary's Sixth Formers
- St. Mary's Principal hosts evening with Alan Johnson MP
- Grease is the word at St. Mary's
- St. Mary's Sixth Formers present research findings
- St. Mary's supports Remembrance Day events
- St. Mary's Under 16 Netball Team crowned champions of Sefton
- St. Mary's students learn about life in a WW1 hospital
- Peel Ports visit Sixth Formers to discuss Liverpool2 scheme
- Advice on careers in Marketing on the menu at St. Mary's
- St. Mary's pupils remembered during Arnhem battle commemorations
- St. Mary's students entertain Spanish audiences on Barcelona tour
- Head Boy and Head Girl roles for Jake and Niamh
- Joshua's Science Club project could help visually impaired people
- Strong GCSE performances at St. Mary's