Biology Journal honour for St. Mary's science teacher
A teacher at St. Mary’s College has been honoured by a publication produced by one of the country’s leading learned societies.
Head of Science Bob Johnston has been invited to join the editorial board of the Journal of Biological Education, produced by the Society of Biology which promotes the value of the subject in education, research and industry.
The board consists of thirteen Fellows of the Society, and Mr Johnston will be its Associate Editor with responsibility for articles relating to biology in schools. The quarterly Journal is an international publication that covers policy and curriculum developments, highlighting the latest research into the teaching, learning and assessment of biology in schools and universities around the world.
Bob Johnston commented: “I was delighted to be invited to take up this post, especially as one of my first jobs was to enlist my colleague Nicola Addy to the team of more than 1,000 scientists from around the world who act as peer reviewers for the Journal. As a result, St. Mary’s College now has not one but two biologists working on this prestigious publication.”
The Society of Biology appointment is the latest of several honours to be given to Mr Johnston who has taught biology at St. Mary’s for 39 years. He has also been elected as a Fellow of both the Institute of Biology and the Linnean Society of London for his contribution to bioscience over more than three decades, and played a key role in St. Mary’s being accredited as an Associate School by the Royal Society recently.
Principal, Mike Kennedy said, “Everyone at the school is delighted at the recognition that Mr Johnston has received from these professional bodies. It is a well-deserved reward for the service he has given to the teaching of biology over his long career.”
- Former St. Mary's Head Girl returns to teach at the school
- Royal Society honour for St. Mary's College
- St. Mary's pupils join in the world's biggest coffee morning
- St. Mary's cadets help to commemorate Second World War battle
- Krishna and Rosie take up leading roles at St. Mary's
- St. Mary's students and staff celebrate excellent GCSE results
- Increase in top grade passes for St. Mary's students
- St. Mary's College students make their mark in international sport
- Young St. Mary's College musicians entertain French audiences
- St. Mary's puts the spotlight on independent learning
- German exchange visit for St. Mary's students
- St. Mary's step out on annual charity walk
- St. Mary's 'Proms in the Park' is the best yet
- Exhibition puts artwork in the spotlight
- Oxford University German Competition success for Jess
- Organisers finalise arrangements for the 2013 Sefton Triathlon
- Fundraising at St. Mary's provides new playground for African children
- Dr Thorne addresses International Conference
- Baby news
- St. Mary's College salutes 'Class of 2013'