St. Mary's students entertain Spanish audiences on Barcelona tour
Talented young musicians from St. Mary’s College have been entertaining Spanish audiences as part of a one-week visit to Tossa de Mar near Barcelona. More than 60 students and eight members of staff were involved in the music tour which featured members of four St. Mary’s ensembles - the Concert Band, Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Choir and Stage Band.
They performed three concerts including one on a bandstand overlooking a busy beach and another in the beautiful setting of a local church where the acoustics were outstanding. Away from the concert platform the students also enjoyed a wide range of activities in excellent weather including trips to a water park, a theme park and an aquarium.
Sightseeing and shopping in Barcelona were also on the schedule with particular highlights being a visit to Gaudi’s famous Sagrada Familia Basilica, a cable car ride across the harbour and a trip on a glass bottom boat along the Mediterranean coastline. Many of the young musicians will also remember the tour for the entertainment at the hotel provided by popular DJ and dancer Victor who proved a big hit with the students.
Commenting on the trip, Director of Music Andrew Byers said, “This was an excellent tour which saw our students performing a varied and difficult programme. Many people commented on the high standard and professionalism of their musicianship and on the bandstand many locals stopped sunbathing to listen to them instead, which is praise indeed in Barcelona!”
Music is a very important feature of life at St. Mary’s with regular highlights including the school’s Festival of Music at Liverpool’s Philharmonic Hall in the spring and the Proms in the Park music-and-fireworks extravaganza every July. The school also arranges regular overseas concert tours. Recent destinations have included Austria and Switzerland but there have been previous tours of Canada, Hong Kong and Australia.
- Joshua's Science Club project could help visually impaired people
- Strong GCSE performances at St. Mary's
- 100% pass rate at St. Mary's College
- St. Mary's science enthusiasts head for Royal Society Exhibition
- Proms in the Park hits the right note
- Former St. Mary's pupil takes pole position in road safety campaign
- Exhibition puts skills of young artists in the frame
- Art Fair honour for St. Mary's College
- St. Mary's salutes 'Class of 2014'
- Liverpool fundraising event will help to transform St. Martin's in Liberia
- St. Mary's volunteers take a trip to Lourdes
- St. Mary's College free school application
- St. Mary's students learn about Catalan culture
- Proms in the Park 2014
- New Chair for the Friends of St. Mary's
- St. Mary's salutes achievements of CCF Cadets
- Principal’s response to Archdiocese letter regarding St. Mary’s College free school bid
- St. Mary's students head to the crossroads of Europe
- St. Mary's College to continue progressing free school plans
- St. Mary's students take to the stage at the Phil