Friends of St. Mary's gather for Reunion Dinner
The organisation for former pupils, staff and governors of St. Mary’s College held its latest successful reunion event at the weekend. Members of the Friends of St. Mary’s gathered at the Liverpool Malmaison Hotel at Princes Dock for their 2015 Northern Reunion Dinner.
The evening was an ideal opportunity for guests to catch up with former friends and colleagues, and to hear about ambitious plans for the future of the organisation from new Chair, Jonathan Cunningham MBE. The Southport businessman and distinguished military veteran outlined details of his Get Connected initiative which aims to swell the ranks of the organisation and forge closer links between members. Mr Cunningham’s plans include a new St. Mary’s business network, career development support for former students and increased fundraising activity in support of the school.
In the run-up to the 100th anniversary of the founding of the school in 2019, guests were also encouraged to dig deep to support the new St. Mary’s Centenary Fund. This will help to pay for additional scholarships and bursaries, and also fund investment in new facilities to provide pupils with an outstanding learning environment both now and in the future.
Speaking at the dinner, Jonathan Cunningham said, “Our reunion dinners are a great way to meet up with members and hear their views, and it’s been great to see significantly more recent school leavers here this evening. There is a huge family of people throughout this country and abroad with connections to St. Mary’s and we want the Friends to reach out to all of them. Our aim is to provide our members with an expanded range of opportunities to meet, engage with and support each other both in person and online.”
Over the years many distinguished former St. Mary’s pupils have attended Friends reunion events including Archbishop of Westminster Cardinal Vincent Nichols and former BBC Director-General Lord John Birt. Other well-known former students include poet Roger McGough, Olympic swimmer Fran Halsall and comedian Tom O’Connor.
- St. Mary's students take to the Philharmonic stage
- Singing success for Sophie
- Rave reviews for Greek tragedy 'Ajax'
- St. Mary's students help to promote Liverpool to Spanish tourists
- St. Mary's Sixth Formers put the spotlight on manufacturing
- A message from the Principal
- St. Mary's students rehearse ambitious production of Ancient Greek tragedy
- St. Mary's event puts the spotlight on the aerospace industry
- St. Mary's College looks back on a year of achievement
- St. Mary's pupils enjoy Pyrenees ski trip
- Musical start to Christmas season for St. Mary's students
- Stylish evening for St. Mary's Sixth Formers
- St. Mary's Principal hosts evening with Alan Johnson MP
- Grease is the word at St. Mary's
- St. Mary's Sixth Formers present research findings
- St. Mary's supports Remembrance Day events
- St. Mary's Under 16 Netball Team crowned champions of Sefton
- St. Mary's students learn about life in a WW1 hospital
- Peel Ports visit Sixth Formers to discuss Liverpool2 scheme
- Advice on careers in Marketing on the menu at St. Mary's