It is the aim of the Chemistry Department to teach the subject in a stimulating and effective manner throughout the school. All Sciences are practical subjects and we aim to challenge and motivate our students using laboratory work wherever possible. We believe that as well as preparing the students for public examinations, it is important that we foster a genuine interest in the subject and that we encourage a responsible attitude towards science in society.
The objectives of the Chemistry Department are that, on completion of the courses, students will:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the relevant facts, terminology, concepts and principles.
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the place of Science in the world and be able to apply their knowledge to social, ethical, technological and environmental issues.
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of practical techniques and the need for appropriate safety precautions.
- Display an appreciation of How science works' in terms of formulating, testing and modifying hypotheses to fit recorded data.
- Display critical and imaginative thinking and the ability to design their own experiments to test hypotheses.
- Record data and display it in a clear and logical format.
- Draw accurate conclusions from experimental data.
- Understand the part Chemistry plays in shaping our world.
To find the individual pages for Chemistry, click on the appropriate link in the left hand menu
The Chemistry Department consists of the following staff:
Mrs. L. Clarke, B.Sc. (Hons.), PGCE
Acting Head of Chemistry
Mrs. R. Cahill, B.Sc.(Hons.), PGCE
Head of Year 9
Mrs. S. Bartolo, B.Ed.(Hons.), Postgrad. Certificate in Literacy and Dyslexia
Learning Support Co-ordinator
Mrs. C. Donnan
Senior & Chemistry Technician, First Aid Named Person'